45-min Suicide Prevention, Awareness & Response Strategies (S.P.A.R.S.) for Students
- To increase understanding of the tragic issue of youth suicide, the risk factors that can lead to suicide, and the prevention of suicidal ideation and behavior in youth
- To increase knowledge of the warning signs, so that teen peers are better prepared to identify and get help for their peers who may be at risk
Description – DID YOU KNOW? . . .
- That suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for adolescents and young adults
- That in 2013 over 180,000 youth between the ages of 10-24 were hospitalized for self-inflicted injuries?
- That 8% of high school student reported having attempted suicide one or more times in previous twelve month period.
This 45 min. assembly format seminar is designed to be educational, motivational and inspirational to student attendees who may be at risk or may know someone who is at risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior. Lecture discusses statistics related to suicide attempts and how attempts can be looked at as opportunities to intervene and save lives. Additionally information related to suicidal ideation, bullying/cyberbullying, risk factors for teen suicide and warning signs for suicide will be discussed with opportunities for Q&A available by students.
Inspirational and motivational lecture and audio-visual are an important part of this seminar for students.
“In a society that profits off of SELF DOUBT learning to appreciate and love others, love life and love yourself is a REBELLIOUS ACT.”