3 hr. PREVAIL!™ Active Shooter Preparedness for Managers & Supervisors E-learning course
One of the objections by leadership to training staff and team members is that by doing so might create fear within the organization. What should be understood is that fear already exists on this topic as a result of media broadcasts and social media. Additionally, there is a fundamental misunderstanding of where fear comes from – FEAR comes from having a problem WITHOUT a solution. In other words providing practical and simple education on this problem actually REDUCES FEAR not increases it.
PREVAIL! can help your organization comply with OSHA’s General Duty Clause, Section 5(a)(1) – requiring employers to provide their employees with a place of employment that “is free from recognizable hazards that are causing or likely to cause death or serious harm to employees.” PREVAIL! will raise your personal awareness when it comes to potential workplace violence threats and/or an active shooter event. A trained response will save lives…yours and those around you!
Here’s a breakdown:
PREVAIL! was designed in easy-to-use modules. Organizations using PREVAIL! have several implementation paths –
The 3 hr. PREVAIL!™ Active Shooter Preparedness for Employee course:
- Typically, each training session starts with PREVAIL!™ the Movie. This 13 min. dramatic video sets the stage for the session by engaging participants quickly – emotionally – by watching an active shooter event unfold in their workplace. The purpose of this movie is to engage the viewer to relate to these types of incidents occurring and although they don’t realize it while watching it there are clips from the movie utilized later in the program to illustrate learning points like “normalcy bias”, “3 OUT Response Model”, etc.
- Next, Preparing to PREVAIL!™ module is an introduction to the the session by discussing key learning points in an active shooter event as well as learning objectives for the program.
- PREVAIL!: The OUT Actions™ goes into detail about the 3-OUT Intruder Response Approach.
- The last module of the course then discusses the psychology and motivation of the of attacker in PREVAIL!: Understanding the Adversary™
- There is also a manager/supervisor module Leading to PREVAIL!™ available to inform and encourage managers to discuss potential scenarios, table top exercises within their teams for 5-10 min. “chalk talks” – as well as a powerful meeting opener, Prevailing Is…™ to kick off each review session.
The participant then has the opportunity to apply what they have learned in several computer based interactive scenarios where their responses are critiqued.
The participant then completes the course by completing an assessment to measure their understanding in applying what they have learned and all results are stored and the participant who successfully completes the assessment will then be issued a certificate.